A simple baked strawberry & rhubarb recipe inspired me for this one. I was reading it and decided that this would make a fantastic jam, especially when I read the bit about the balsamic.
Using the standard strawberry jam recipe from my favourite little book, ‘Mrs Beetons Jam Making’, I created a rather tasty new jam.
It sounds a bit different but trust me it’s just as sweet and yummy as any other jam. Have a go, and let me know what you think!
If you liked this jam you should definitely check out my Plum & Vanilla Jam!
- 500g Strawberries
- 500g Rhubarb (about 1 bunch)
- 200ml Balsamic vinegar
- 150ml Lemon Juice
- 700g White Sugar
- Chop the rhubarb into small pieces and slice up the strawberries & place into a large bowl with 50ml of balsamic & 100g of sugar. Toss till fruit is fully coated.
- Place the fruit in a deep baking dish and cook in oven for 20min at 180degC.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a medium sized pot. Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook jam for approximately 1hr stirring reguarly.
- Meanwhile sterilise your jars by washing them with soapy hot water and drying in the oven at 100degC for 10min.
- Now it's time to start testing to see if it's at setting point. To do this get the plate out of the freezer and put a teaspoon of jam on to it. Place in the fridge for a couple of minutes. Push your finger through the jam to see if it's set. What you're looking for is the jam wrinkling up and not flooding back in to fill the gap when you push it.
- Once it's at setting point, it's time to jar it! Fill the jars to the about 1cm below the rim Before putting the lid on wipe off any excess jam from the jar. You want to do this to ensure a good seal.
- Wolla Jam! Over the next hour or so you should hear the lids making a popping sound as they seal properly. This is caused by the air inside cooling and contracting. Exactly what you want for some long lasting jam!
- You can store the jam for up to a year in the pantry.
- - Frozen strawberries from the grocer work just as well as fresh ones so don't worry if it's not strawberry season. Personally I prefer the frozen ones because they're so much cheaper!
FREE Resource Library!
Unlock the FREE Resources Library to help you live a Happy and Healthy Lifestyle.
You'll have access to Recipes, Goal Setting Printables, 2017 Calendar Printable, tips & tricks plus much more. You'll also receive regular updates for the new content being put up on the site!