I find that at this time of year (Christmas) I get a lot more motivated to make mass jams, pickles & chutneys. Don’t get me wrong, I love making them any time of year, but particularly now because I find they make such great gifts!
Before I go on though, I just want to clear up one small misconception about home made gifts, they are not always the cheap option. I spent $45 today buying ingredients to make chocolate truffles. Once you put that together with the amount of time it usually takes to make the gifts I’d say you’re looking at an expensively priced bag of chocolates.
But moving on, luckily for you a reduced price tag inspires me and this relish is the result.
I hope you enjoy it and let me know how you go.
- 2kg Tomatoes
- 1 Onion, Diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Crushed
- 1/4cup Olive Oil
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2tbsp Mustard Seeds
- 2tsp All spice
- 2tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- 1tsp Pepper
- 2tsp Salt
- 1cup Sugar
- 1 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- Cut the tomatoes in half and place on a baking tray flat side down. Cook under a grill on high for 45 min checking regularly. The tops of the tomatoes will burn giving the relish another level of flavour.
- Allow the tomatoes to cool and remove skins.
- Meanwhile caramelise the onion, garlic, & bay leaves in the olive oil, this will take about 20min on a low-med heat. Add the remaining spices and allow to cook for another 5min.
- Mix the sugar & vinegar into the onion mix and bring to the boil.
- Dice tomatoes and add to mix. Bring to boil.
- Pour in to sterilised jars. Fill the jars to the about 1cm below the rim. Before putting the lid on wipe off any excess relish from the jar. You want to do this to ensure a good seal.
- Your relish is now good to go! You can use it right away, store it or give away as gifts.
- This relish will last in the pantry unopened for up to 12months.
FREE Resource Library!
Unlock the FREE Resources Library to help you live a Happy and Healthy Lifestyle.
You'll have access to Recipes, Goal Setting Printables, 2017 Calendar Printable, tips & tricks plus much more. You'll also receive regular updates for the new content being put up on the site!